Thursday, October 9, 2008

Winter

At this very moment I have a pot of beef stew cooking on the stove. Outside we're getting our first snowstorm of the winter. It's supposed to snow all weekend and by Sunday night the low is predicted to be 12 degrees! Things are feeling cozy (besides my cold nose and fingertips). There is something about the first snow each year that is so exciting no matter how much you prefer warm weather. This winter I'm guessing I may gain a few pounds, though. As everyone living in this country knows, every form of heating is going up. My family and I, unfortunately, live in a 5000 square foot rental that uses heating oil. Since there is no affordable way to keep this house cozy warm this winter we'll not only wear layers, but I also plan on doing extra baking. I plan on staying nice and close to my oven baking cookies, bread, rolls, pies, cakes, muffins, cinnamon buns, casseroles, roasts, etc., etc. Winter is sounding downright nice to me right now thinking about all those warm goodies!

Another thing this first snow has me thinking about is Christmas. I think this year I'll make a good portion of my gifts as well as all of the cards I send out. I guess I had better not make a list of what I'm going to be making since certain receivers may read this. ;o)

This week I ordered everything I'll need to begin a new craft - felting. I'm really looking forward to using up wool from our own sheep to make things with! Hats, bowls, ornaments, slippers, you name it! I really didn't need much to begin this craft since I already have plenty of wool and other common items used in felting.

Well, I had better get ready for bed. I'm adding extra blankets to all the beds tonight! Brrr!

No comments: