Sunday, November 1, 2009

A Housekeeper and Garden

Getting a housekeeper in Nicaragua is completely affordable. For $2.50-$5/day you can have someone come in and do everything from dishes to laundry to scrubbing floors. She may even help with meals. Most likely I will continue to be my family's cook even though it would be affordable to hire someone to do the cooking as well. In Nicaragua it's uncommon to know how to cook as many dishes as I know how to cook. Also, since most homes don't even have a refrigerator, they're used to throwing everything into the dish they're making (to prevent spoilage). With as many things as I keep in my refrigerator, that could be a pretty disgusting dish!

I'm looking forward to having some of my time freed up from cleaning. I'll have more time to concentrate on cooking good meals and homeschooling my children. Oh, and lets not forget: more time for doing my arts and crafts. Maybe I'll actually have enough time to keep up with my scrapbooking!

I plan on taking some seed packets with us to use during our 6-month-long trip there and have a little garden. It's hard to find lettuce in Nicaragua and when you do you don't know what kind of water it was grown with, so I'll be growing my own salad stuff. Since we're not used to certain things down there that most Nicas are used to, we have to be more careful not to get stomach ailments. Until my lettuce grows, I know I'll be missing my salads! Cabbage is basically the replacement for lettuce down there and I've never been as fond of cabbage as I am of lettuce.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Wow, that is amazing news!!! I would like to know how your family chose Nicaragua, since there are other places in central/south america that would be comparable!! It seems you must have had some strong direction to pick this place to specifically! ~A