Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Windy Day

The wind is whipping around this house, causing all sorts of creaks and groans. This sort of weather reminds me of when one of our temporary buildings was blown over. Still, as long as it's not destroying anything I enjoy it - storms, that is. It seems like an adventure hits when it's storming. I'm not sure why. It always causes this excited, awed, cozy feeling for me.

The dark clouds have been hovering over the mountains all day and I keep wondering if it might be snowing up there. It would seem a little early, but still beats having fires all over! As long as the snow sticks to the high peaks and doesn't come down here in August, I wouldn't be bothered. I always have loved how mountain peaks look with snow on them - so clean, white, sharp, and... cold.

Yes, a day like this makes me think of pumpkins, hot apple cider, autumn leaves & colors, a lightweight jacket, blue jeans, schoolwork, and outdoor fun. It sure beats the temperatures we had last Monday when it hit 103 degrees! Today it's 60 degrees, but is supposed to be in the upper 80's and sunny on Sunday. Although the warm weather will be back for a little while, today makes me realize summer is nearly over. We shall enjoy maybe a month or two more of warm weather before winter arrives, then it will be time to pull out the coats, hats, gloves, and snow pants. Bicycles will have to be put in safe places along with other summer toys. Hopefully this winter won't be so windy and we'll have enough snow to build snowmen with! Either way, there will be lots of learning. Ethan has been doing great with his reading lessons, but it's time to start working on mathematics with him. Madeleine, at three-years-old, is ready to start preschool this year and I'm sure she'll do great. She already has about half of the alphabet memorized, knows some shapes, all of her colors, and numbers up to 10.

No comments: