Friday, August 1, 2008

Training Oxen

My husband has patiently been training a team of oxen for the past 9 months and it seems to be paying off! When we (our whole family) went on a walk with them the other day we had them pull a chain with a few things attached to it (for a little weight) for the first time. It took them just a couple of minutes to get used to the sound of the chain dragging and weight. They did great following the commands, "Gee, haw, back, giddup, and whoa!" Here are a few pictures I took on the walk:

Our Scottish Highland oxen team (not yet full grown).

Hubby walking his oxen.

Little Bill and Curly Sue taking a break (we didn't name them ourselves).

Me watching them munch.

I'm so proud of my guy training these oxen. He even made his own yoke from scratch! I always find it amazing what my DH can train himself to do. He never saw anyone train oxen or build a yoke before, he just figured it out himself with a little help from some books and did it. I wish I were more like that! I tend to learn much better seeing someone else do it first.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it! Your family is so cool...always doing cool things! Maybe we can get together soon...either way I really enjoy your blog!

Gina