Thursday, May 8, 2008

Sheep in a Jeep

Have you ever read "Sheep in a Jeep"? It's a children's book that I always found a bit amusing. Well, today got me thinking about that little book. You see, today I got to ride with five big sheep in the back of our SUV. We don't have a trailer on this small farm of ours or anything else that would work well for hauling animals (yet), so when needed we load sheep in our "jeep"! These five ewes were pretty nervous at first, but after a few minutes settled down and were nice for the 100+ mile drive home. Most people might be nervous that a sheep would jump over the backseat and come join you in the front, but we've never had that problem. For the most part sheep and goats don't like being too close to us people. In a vehicle that works to our benefit! The only time I was a bit worried during our ride was when all of the ewes decided to look out the back window and their rears were facing my dear children in the backseat. I'm sure you can guess what I was worrying about! All went well, though. I'm not sure how long it's going to take for my vehicle to quit smelling like a barnyard, but from experience I DO know it goes away... eventually.

No comments: