Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Piece of Cake

Yesterday evening I noticed that the bunch of bananas I had left were finally looking perfectly ripe and that it was time to try a recipe I have had my eye on for awhile. The recipe, "Banana-Caramel Cake" calls for 6 ripe bananas, so it worked out perfectly that my bunch had 6 left in it. I worked on dinner (chicken enchiladas) at the same time as the cake and by dinner time both were ready. It had been the first time I had made my own caramel sauce, caramelized bananas, or worked with mascarpone cheese (the cake has "Mascarpone Frosting" on it), so I was quite happy when the cake turned out beautiful and tasty even by my own definition! An artist or cook is usually her/his worst critic and I definitely tend to be that. I didn't actually eat any of the cake until this morning and before having a bite I decided to take a picture to share with my blog readers:


The frosting wasn't too sweet and even after being refrigerated all night it was very smooth and creamy. The caramel sauce that was drizzled on top complimented the frosting with it's amber sweetness. The caramelized bananas in between the layers of cake were delicious. I would say this cake is, in fact, a success! :)

No comments: